Wednesday 24 April 2024

BACKYARD BUGS

 


I once had an ants nest in my backyard.
The ants were quite amusing to observe.
They were totally fearless.
I would stand nearby and they would climb all over my shoes.
When you think of the size difference between a human and an ant and how easy it is to squash them, and yet they didn't give a damn.
They'd explore my feet while I observed their behaviour.
One time, I rescued an ant that had got trapped in a spiders web.
About 8 ants had gathered around the scene where the ant couldn't free itself and they all seemed to be running around in a panic not knowing how to save their comrade.
I got a magnifying glass & tweezers and set about removing the cobweb from the trapped ant.
Very tricky it was. Needed a lot of patience, care and a delicate touch.
I managed it though, and the freed ant got back with its posse.
That was fine, but something strange then happened.
The next day, ants started arriving at my doorstep with severed fly heads, spiders legs & other bits & pieces, and just left them by my door.
They'd then go back to their nest.
I didn't know if this was some kind of feast for me as a reward for freeing one of their friends or them chucking their rubbish out and now expecting me to dispose of it for them..!!

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment