Saturday 21 October 2023

SPIN CYCLE

 


I remember going to an exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery and rather liked the Damien Hirst spin paintings.
But, I am older than Damien, and I had beat him to spin painting by a few decades!
Around 1968/69 when I was still in primary school, I got a toy for Christmas called Spiro-Matic, which had a motorized rotating postcard holder.
They supplied paint and felt pens with it so it was just a matter of switching on the motor to get it spinning, then getting creative.
I ended up churning out lots of postcard sized psychedelic treats.
I still have Spiro-Matic which works perfectly, so recently decided to bring it out of storage and give it a few spins.
While I was at it, I knocked out 3 postcards all of which had a portrait of Damien in the centre, which I drew in felt pen.
The Spiro-Matic images now look quite contemporary in 2023 because of Hirst's work, but there is a 6 decade gap in the concept.

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment